Andhra Pradesh: In Prakasam district of Andhra Pradesh, around 10 people died after allegedly consuming sanitiser over alcohol for 10 days, on Friday.
It is said that they were daily wage labourers and were consuming sanitizers which they had mixed with water in the place of alcohol for eight to ten days.
The incident happened in the Karichedu area of Prakasam district. The local police investigated the area on Tuesday and found sanitizers in every residence. The police said that they also found some empty as well as unopened bottles of sanitizers in those homes.
One of them was admitted to the hospital after he complained of severe pain in his stomach and died on the next day. Gradually the rest of the labourers succumbed at the hospital. Initially, the police thought they were consuming illegally brewed alcohol.
Prakasam District Superintendent Siddharth Kaushal said, “We found empty as well unopened sanitiser bottles in some these homes. Family members confirmed that the victims were consuming it in place of liquor. We are looking for more people who are consuming sanitisers”.
“Almost all of them are daily wage labourers or beggars. We have seized some stock of sanitisers from some shops while those with medical shops would be examined for chemical contents. Apart from the post-mortem report, we have also sought a toxicology report to ascertain what exactly happened. At least 10 people have died so far in the last three days,” he said.
On Wednesday night, one of the deceased P Srinu, complained about having severe pain in his stomach. He was immediately admitted to Darsi Government Hospital where he confessed to the police about his consumption of sanitizers. On the next day, two others got admitted to hospital and died shortly. Lastly on Friday, the other seven people died in the hospital.
The chief minister of Andhra Pradesh Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy also asked for the report from the police and district collector. The MLA ( Member of Legislative Assembly) of Darsi, said “Owing to reduction in alcohol shops as per government policy and closure of some shops due to the Covid-19 situation and containment zones, liquor is not available. Some people, including several beggars, purchased sanitisers and consumed it. They all fell ill and died. We have shifted a few to hospital where they are recovering”, as said by ‘The Indian Express‘.